General Requirements

You may register for your courses using available self-registration tools or by working with the Office of Student Support. While you should register for courses well in advance, you may make changes to your registration without penalty through the seventh day of the term/session. This is the add/drop period, after which course withdrawals will result in penalties. ExcelTrack students may add module courses through week six of a 10-week term or week three of a 6-week session.

If you are enrolled in a graduate program or prelicensure nursing program, the last day to withdraw from a course and receive a “W” grade is the day prior to the final 28 days of a term (21 days in 6-week sessions) when individual course withdrawals are not permitted.

If you are enrolled in an undergraduate program (excluding prelicensure nursing programs), you may withdraw from a course at any time during a term. If you withdraw from a module course, you will receive a “W” grade, and if you withdraw from a traditional course, you will receive a temporary “IP” grade until the grade can be finalized at the end of the term. At the end of the term, if you have not earned any points in the last two units of a traditional course and do not have an overall passing grade in the course, you will be considered to have withdrawn from the course and receive a “W” grade. If you earn any points in the final two course units or earn an overall passing grade in the course, you will be awarded the grade determined by the grade scale. (See Academic Grades and Marks.)

If you are a nondegree-seeking student or if you request a leave of absence from a graduate program or prelicensure nursing program, you may withdraw from a course at any time during the course and receive a “W” grade.

Requests to audit a course must be approved in advance of registration in the course. If you register to audit a course, you may not decide to take the course for credit after starting the course.

Registration changes are subject to course availability. Registration changes at any point after the course has begun can affect your financial aid eligibility and the time required to complete your degree. You should determine such impact before making any changes.

Registering for more than the maximum or less than the minimum number of credits, as follows, requires approval from the Dean:

  • Undergraduate: Minimum 6 credits, maximum 18 credits per term
  • Graduate (Calendar E): Minimum 3 credits, maximum 10 credits per 6-week session
  • Graduate (Calendars A, B, and C): Minimum 4 credits, maximum 10 credits per term

Exceptions to these credit loads may result in changes to tuition charges and financial aid awards. Certain programs and enrollment agreements may have specific policies governing student course loads; refer to the individual school sections for more information.

If you are enrolled in a program on Calendar E, you should register for both 6-week sessions in a term at or before the start of that term. Not doing so could affect your financial aid eligibility.

Military Service Provision

If you must drop or withdraw from courses due to receipt of military orders or are placed on a special duty assignment and, as a result, are unable to attend class, you will not be responsible for any tuition or fees incurred for the courses in progress when the military order takes effect. Receipt of orders may include deployment, mobilization, activation, training, or a commander letter for special duty assignments. You must notify your Student Advisor of receipt of orders and provide a copy of a valid order of duty. Any applicable waiver of expenses is only valid for the affected course(s) when the military order takes effect. When this request is approved, the affected course(s) will show an “MW” markIf you are also receiving federal financial aid, please see the applicable Refund Policy.

Assessments of Skills and Knowledge 

Certain course requirements can be fulfilled by achieving a passing score on an Assessment of Skills and Knowledge (ASK). For a complete list of available assessments for credit and to register to take one, contact your Student Advisor.

  • You will have one attempt to take an assessment and cannot take one if you have already begun or failed the equivalent course.
  • Once you enter the ASK and view the content, the Alternative Credit Center will count this as an attempt to complete the ASK.
  • Grades on ASKs are final and do not qualify for the grade appeal process.
  • Assessments are not available for all Purdue Global courses.
  • Students pay a non-refundable fee for each ASK.
  • Faculty evaluators for ASKs are assigned by the specific school where that assessment resides and are not chosen by the student. The role of the faculty evaluator is to assess each ASK component according to the rubric criteria. The faculty evaluator does not advise, answer content questions, or instruct students on any ASK assessment components.

Nondegree-Seeking Course Enrollment

In addition to the above policies, please note the following if you are a nondegree-seeking student:

You must complete financial arrangements for each course before you will be permitted to register into it.

Not all courses are available for nondegree-seeking enrollment and some will require additional Dean-level approval before permission is given. The Dean may wish to examine your transcripts, work experience, or other evidence of preparedness for the course, especially in situations where the course has prerequisites.

You may not enroll in a course which is part of a program that has explicit entrance requirements unless you meet the requirements and have approval from the Dean of the school in which the course is housed (e.g., nursing, medical assisting, etc.).

Matriculation into a Degree Program

You are encouraged to consult with an Admissions Advisor to ascertain which courses taken as a nondegree-seeking student will apply to a program of study. Not all courses may be applicable toward a Purdue Global degree.