Purdue University Global Mission, Purpose, and Philosophy
Purdue University Global delivers personalized online education tailored to the unique needs of adults who have work or life experience beyond the classroom, enabling them to develop essential academic and professional skills with the support and flexibility they need to achieve their career goals.
To accomplish its mission, Purdue Global has established the following purposes:
- Provide academic programs for adult learners that have been developed and assessed by faculty, staff, and members of educational, professional, and business communities.
- Provide intensive and comprehensive instruction using a principally online mode of delivery that strengthens student academic achievement.
- Instill in its students the value of lifelong learning by stimulating intellectual curiosity, creative and critical thinking, and awareness of culture and diversity.
- Plan and provide facilities and resources that respond to the needs of students, faculty, and staff.
- Assist students in developing professional attitudes, values, skills, and strategies that foster success in their careers and in life.
- Prepare students to advance their employment goals and opportunities and meet the ever-changing needs of their communities now and in the future.
Purdue Global recognizes the worth and dignity of all people and is sensitive to the diversity of cultural and ethnic backgrounds represented in its student population. All students are encouraged to reach their potential within the framework of their individual needs, interests, and capabilities.
The University employs instructional methods based on adult learning theory and is committed to the development of each student's intellectual, analytical, and critical thinking abilities. Teaching techniques encourage active student participation and may include group discussions and projects, laboratory work, simulations, demonstrations, field trips, guest speakers, and lectures. A strong emphasis is placed on ethics, accountability, professionalism, and the individual's commitment to pursuing lifelong personal and professional development.
The University focuses on helping adult learners reach their education and career goals by providing them with the professional skills and competencies necessary to advance their employment opportunities and achieve personal fulfillment. The University offers courses that prepare them to successfully participate in society, equipping them with the business knowledge necessary to succeed in the “real world,” and encouraging them to become involved in professional organizations that will promote their learning and professional skills.
The University is committed to serving the public good. We engage in continuous efforts to increase college attainment of high-risk populations and help students achieve economic independence through higher education and employment. We address skill gaps that hinder economic development, help military personnel effectively transition to civilian life, reduce the cost of higher education for our students and society, incorporate public service in learning activities, and encourage and support faculty scholarship. We model public service to promote and encourage charitable activities and volunteerism among our faculty, staff, and students.