Academic Appeals Policy

For procedures to appeal a Code of Student Conduct disciplinary sanction or an academic dishonesty charge, see Student Conduct

Grade Appeals Procedures

You must follow the below procedures to appeal a grade.  

Grades on Assessments of Skills and Knowledge (ASKs) are final and do not qualify for the grade appeal process.

Step 1: If you wish to appeal a grade, you must first discuss the issue with your instructor within 10 days of receiving the grade.

If you are appealing a grade you believe is unfair, a departure from the established grading policy, or a clear mistake by the School, you should provide your instructor with a clear explanation of why. Please review the course’s grading rubrics and late policies first, as these will often resolve confusion over how a grade was calculated.

If the instructor decides that a change to the grade is the correct decision, the instructor will work with the Office of the Provost and the Office of the Registrar as required to resolve the issue.

Step 2: If the problem has not been resolved and you wish to pursue an appeal of the instructor’s decision, you must complete and send the Academic Appeal form to the Office of the Provost which will forward your appeal to the Academic Appeals Committee which will review your case and make a decision. The Academic Appeals Committee consists of faculty and one or more administrators.

Step 3: If you disagree with the Academic Appeals Committee's decision, you must send a written letter of appeal to the Office of the Provost within 10 days of the Committee's decision. The Office of the Provost will review the material presented and make a final ruling.

Petitions for Administrative Policy Exceptions Unrelated to Academic Appeals

Petitions seeking an exception to administrative policies, such as exam rescheduling, late enrollment, and readmission requirements, may be submitted via the Petition—Associate Dean form by email to These petitions shall be reviewed by the Associate Dean for the program, the Associate Dean's designee, or a committee convened by the Associate Dean. 
The grant of any petition is at the sole discretion of the School.